Friday, June 29, 2012

All in good taste

I admit, I've become a picky eater. If you were to name off all the foods I can't and won't eat it seems like an extensive list. Seeking a diet of primarily nutritious and healthful foods is often difficult enough without adding more restrictions on top of it. Yet, here I am, committed to eating no red-meat or gluten and have cut out the majority of dairy from my everyday diet AND... am happier for it. That being said, I am not satisfied to simply eat something because it's good for me. I want it to taste great! I will not accept mediocre replacements, but instead seek to find something that tastes just as good or better than what I was used to. For example, going gluten free doesn't mean having to give up all your favorites. It simply means having to find substitutes. While this can prove to be a challenge at times, cooking for yourself is the perfect way to try out various dishes while having 100% control over the ingredients. The more I cook for myself at home, the less I like eating out. I enjoy the freedom of being able to make food specifically designed for my needs and my taste buds. I can be as picky as I want without worrying about requesting multiple modifications to a pre-existing dish. Especially with a restrictive diet or when working around food allergies, selecting what you can and cannot eat can be a real hassle and often excludes the majority of items on any given menu. Like I mentioned before, cooking for yourself provides the opportunity to know exactly what ingredients are being used (gluten free, organic, vegetarian, vegan, you name it...), the freshness of individual products, and the amount of each item used. If I am in the mood for something with a kick I can add a little more spice, or try out new flavor combinations and experiment with various substitutions until I find what works best for me. I've also found that by making my own food I'm saving money while cutting calories and avoiding allergens. Yes, it takes a little extra effort and is more time- consuming but so far it's proving to be well worth it on most occasions. I've been amazed at my new-found confidence in the kitchen. I realize that it's become increasingly easier with each successful dish I make. Even those that turn out below average still provide a good learning curve for me and allow me to gain information I can use to improve. More often than not I am pleasantly surprised with the finished product.
Before beginning my quest for healthier eating I was all about convenience. Now my mind set has shifted as I attempt to avoid the majority of pre-packed and overly processed foods. I am now finding myself thinking things like, yes, it might be quicker to buy salsa that is already made but why, when I can make my own? I didn't even know I knew how to do that until I just made some one night. The other benefit to making everything from scratch is that you can control the portion size and can make only the amount you need, so when dining solo you don't have to worry about excessive left overs or being wasteful. Before I get into this week's recipe, one quick tip about maintaining this type of lifestyle/dietary plan. Try not to focus on what is "forbidden" and instead have fun being as creative as possible within the framework of what foods you can have. Don't punish yourself if you stray, you could literally drive yourself crazy with restrictions and regulating each thing, but that's no way to live. Remember moderation and consistency are key components to a healthier lifestyle. Long term commitment with a few occasional blips will still get you much better results than any crash diet ever will!

Alright, as promised, here is a super simple (gluten-free, vegetarian) dish that is so delicious you will never miss the wheat or the meat.

Brown rice pasta with marinara sauce -

Cook one serving of brown rice pasta of choice (use caution to not over cook)
While the pasta simmers away, chop up one medium sized roma tomato and about 3 whole mushrooms and set aside.
Use one small can tomato sauce as base for homemade marinara. (alternately, if you don't wish to attempt making your own sauce, Prego makes small bottles of gluten-free pasta sauce in Traditional and Fresh Mushroom flavors) Add small amount of vegetable oil to slightly thin the sauce. Stir in spices (oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, and any other Italian seasonings you desire) and a few pinches of sugar to taste. Finely dice fresh garlic and mix in with sauce. (note: this is not an exact science, taste the sauce as you go and add ingredients a little at a time until it you feel it is just right)
When pasta has finished cooking, strain and set aside. (Tip: to save on dishes, I rinse and use the same pan the pasta cooked in to heat my marinara sauce as this is done while the pasta drains.)
I like to cook the mushrooms and tomatoes slightly before adding the sauce. Once sauce has reached desired temperature, plate pasta and pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with parsley flakes, allow to cool briefly, and enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment