Friday, July 27, 2012

Great Gluten-Free Finds

Hope everyone had a great week. I, personally, can't believe it's Friday again already!

Today's topic is a follow up post to last week's article, Snack Attack! I realized that I had forgotten a couple of my regular snack items, such as peanuts and raisins (both plain and yogurt covered), and that I wanted to continue to share a few more great gluten-free finds with you. In my search for gluten-free and healthier alternatives to the foods I was used to eating I have actually discovered quite a few new products that are now regulars in my weekly shopping basket. Pictured below are

- Roasted seaweed snacks (which I have mentioned before)

- Single serving bags of trail mix (great for mid-morning pick me ups at work or on the go... You could also make your own portions in snack baggies)

- Crispbread (see recipe later in post)

- Kind plus protein bar (these are delicious alternatives to a granola or candy bar, but are a bit higher in fat and calories that I normally choose for a snack. Alternatively can be used as meal supplement when on the go)

- Lara bars (these are some of my new favs, especially since I can't enjoy cliff bars anymore...)

- Better'n peanut butter (see last week's post for serving suggestions)

- Edamame crackers (only 120 cal and 2g fat for 38 crackers! Great plain or dipped in hummus)

So as you can see, there are plenty of alternatives available if you are willing to do a little searching and spend some time reading labels. A lot of markets are making it even easier by carrying more and more gluten-free items, marking the shelves with easy to spot signage, and sometimes even having a dedicated gluten-free section of an aisle. Many manufacturers are catching on as well and are not just including wheat in the allergy statement, but specifically marking their gluten-free products. I have to imagine with time, shopping gluten-free will only become easier.

Here is a super simple lunch suggestion that is perfect for packing as a lunch for work...

Ingredients:

3-4 slices of Crispbread (made primarily with rice and corn flours, these are more like light, airy crackers than bread)

1 serving, about 2-3 oz, of tuna fish (drained)
[salmon can also be used]

1 small tomato, diced

Diced cucumber (equal parts with tomato)

Lime juice

Ground black pepper


Directions:

Prep the tomato and cucumber and place in small portable storage container, squeeze in lime and add dash of black pepper - shake to mix. In separate container (you can also use single serving pouches) portion out the plain tuna or salmon. Place crispbread slices in ziplock baggie, and pack all together with a spoon and simple as that lunch is ready. All assembly (combining the veggies and fish and using to top crispbread) is finished as you are ready to eat lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment