Friday, October 26, 2012

On being Gluten Free

As I was thinking about this week's post I realized it has already been just over a year since I committed to a fully gluten free diet. I have learned so much and dramatically altered my eating habits to avoid the grains wheat, rye, barley and spelt. While it hasn't been an easy process, it is worth noting that it has been significantly easier than I than anticipated, or than most people would expect.

I've found that cutting out an entire food group altogether (whether due to allergies or just as a choice) provides much less temptation then simply trying to cut back. It's also amazing how much I don't really miss gluten filled items in my diet. And while it does take some careful planning, and at times a little research, to find substitutes or naturally gluten free options I can say, that at least for me, it has been well worth it. The discovery process has not been without its hiccups, and therefore set backs (my latest slip up being Red Vines... Who would have thought that wheat would be a main ingredient?!?) but each lesson learned pushes me forward and reminds me to be diligent in reading labels and carefully inspecting ingredient lists instead of assuming what may or may not be a "safe" food.

If you have any questions about starting a gluten free diet please feel free to leave them in the comments below. I hope everyone continues to enjoy my recipes and tips... Here's to starting another year gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment